- Student Computing Support
- Technology Spaces
- Communication & Networks
- Training & Guidance
- Borrow Equipment
- Enterprise Systems
News & Events
Cellular Wireless Voice and Data Communications Policy
Cellular wireless voice/data Programs
Cellular wireless voice/data devices are provided to Dickinson employees whose job responsibilities require them for conducting college business. Service fees for the devices are charged to the College and the College is responsible for managing their use in compliance with College policy and applicable law. The assignment of such devices is the responsibility of division leaders or the President of the College.
These supervisors will consider the following criteria in assessing which college employees will the required to have available cellular wireless voice/data devices.
Guidelines to determine issuance of a cellular wireless voice/data device for college business
- Whether the nature of an employee’s job responsibilities require wide mobility and simultaneous access to the telephone network.
- For employees who are mobile and whose job responsibilities require timely and business critical two-way communication for which there is no reasonable alternative solution.
- For employees who are mobile and who provide emergency support and back up.
- For employees who are mission critical decision-makers and whose job responsibilities require that they be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Use of cellular wireless voice/data communications is not meant to replace regular college telephone or data service, and such services should remain the preferred means of contact whenever practical.
Guidelines for cellular wireless voice/data usage
Dickinson College provides cellular wireless voice/data devices to designated employees to be used for college-related business purposes. Staff members assigned college-managed cellular wireless voice/data devices are expected to abide by the following usage guidelines:
- Cellular wireless voice/data usage is restricted to college business. Personal telephone calls are allowed as necessary to further the business of the college (e.g., informing family members of scheduling changes due to college business).
- It is your responsibility to review your calling patterns to ensure that the current service plan meets the needs of your position. Usage that exceeds the maximum monthly minutes allowed under the college's "shared minute plan" is priced at a premium.
- Contact LIS User Services Helpdesk if your calling pattern is consistently in excess of 500 minutes per month so that alternate plans may be considered.
- Monitor your charges and usage. Review your cellular wireless voice/data bills on a monthly basis.
- Use your cellular wireless voice/data devices in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws. A number of laws regulate the use of cellular wireless voice/data devices while driving.
- Avoid using your cellular wireless voice/data devices while driving. Such use may constitute a hazardous distraction, especially during adverse weather, heavy traffic and/or limited visibility conditions.
- Protect your cellular wireless voice/data device from loss, theft or damage.
- If your cellular wireless voice/data device is lost, stolen or damaged, contact the LIS User Services Helpdesk as quickly as possible to obtain a replacement cellular wireless voice/data device and discontinue service on the lost or stolen device.
- Return the cellular wireless voice/data device to LIS User Services Helpdesk when your employment with the college ends or when the requirements of your position no longer require the availability of such a device.
Contact LIS User Services Helpdesk if you have questions regarding the assignment and use of college-managed cellular wireless voice/data service.
Cellular wireless voice/data Service available for short-term loan
The LIS User Services Department has several cellular wireless voice/data devices available for loan to college employees who have a periodic need for short term or temporary use of cellular wireless voice/data service while conducting college business. Availability is on a first come, first serve basis, and can be requested by sending email to Helpdesk@dickinson.edu or calling extension 1000. Walk in support and service is also provided.
Ordering a new Cellular wireless voice/data Service
Since Cellular wireless voice/data reception and features can vary, the college has negotiated a contract with Verizon Wireless Communications. The plan provides nation wide coverage, and although the number of minutes provided should be more than adequate for college business, the minutes are not unlimited. Also, please be aware that all directory assistance calls are not included in the minute pool, and are charged at a premium rate.
Once it is determined that an employee needs a college provided cellular wireless voice/data device, contact the LIS User Service Helpdesk to review the purpose and requirements for the service. We will assist in determining the best device for your needs. All equipment purchases will be the responsibility of the department and will require either a purchase order or pro-card.
A cellular wireless voice/data device will not be added to the Dickinson College central bill until an email is sent to LIS User Services Department requesting that the device and service be added to the contract. This email may come from the requestor of the phone, but the department person responsible for budget approval must be copied on the email.
Personal Cellular Wireless Voice/Data Devices
Verizon Wireless offers cellular wireless voice/data programs for Dickinson College employees at a discounted rate. The program provides a single point of contact for activation, equipment, maintenance and billing. All cellular wireless voice/data purchases and monthly charges are the responsibility of the Dickinson College employee.
To learn more about the Dickinson College employee program, send email to Helpdesk@dickinson.edu or call extension 1000