News & Events
Guide for Study-Abroad Faculty and Students
Welcome to Dickinson College Library Study Abroad Guide. As a Dickinson community member, you can access a full range of resources and services that our library provides to Dickinson College faculty and students, no matter where you are, including
- Ask a librarian for help
- Use our databases to find articles
- Borrow books from Dickinson College Library
- Access our Research Guides on all disciplines
- Use our Online Reference Works and more!
Dickinson registered students or faculty in an off-campus, Dickinson , Dickinson Partner or Dickinson Approved program and faculty abroad or on sabbatical leave.
Please check Ask a Librarian on the library website for hours. We strive to provide timely assistance for your research needs, including finding research materials, advising on interlibrary and document delivery options, and referring you to other helpful library or college staff when needed, and more.
See also the Ask a Librarian page if you need to get in touch with a specific librarian.
Using the local library at your site is a valuable part of your global education experience. So please be sure to check out your local library first. If you cannot find the journal article you need there, please follow the steps below to access our journal collection at Dickinson:
- Go to the list of databases in the library website and search the appropriate databases. If you are not sure which database to use, consult our Research Guides.
Here are some commonly used full-text databases:
- JSTOR (scholarly articles)
- Project Muse (scholarly articles)
- Academic Search Complete (both popular and scholarly sources)
- To request an article that is not available in full-text, please go to ILLiad . You will receive an email notification on how to access the article electronically through ILLiad. Remember to indicate on your ILLiad request form in the notes field that you are currently in a global education program.
If you cannot find the book you want at your local library, you are encouraged to contact your Dickinson librarian for different ways of obtaining what you want. Then follow the steps below for finding and obtaining books or a book chapter from the Dickinson College library.
- Search our online catalog to find what books we have on your topic.
- Once you find a book or a chapter from a book that the Dickinson College library owns you may request it to be sent to you. Login and complete the request form. If you need only a certain chapter out of a book, you will receive the material faster via email. Be sure to indicate that you are currently in a global education program in the notes field of the request form.
- We will loan and mail up to 5 books per semester. Books will be checked out to you for one semester and sent via air-mail. You will be held responsible for return costs or replacement costs for books lost ($100.00) or damaged ($25.00) in the mail.
- We will not deliver ILLiad or E-ZBorrow loans since our agreement with other libraries does not allow us to mail books, audio visuals, and other returnables abroad.
If you are not sure which library resources to consult for a specific subject or discipline, go to our Research Guides (under Do Research on the left menu of the library website), or contact any librarian at Ask a Librarian.
Looking for facts, statistics, or a quick overview of a subject
field? Here are some useful online reference resources
- Credo Reference (NEW) [simutaneous access to over 500 encyclopedias and dictionaries]
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online (D)
For more online reference titles, go to our library databases by format page to choose either the list of dictionaries or list of encyclopedias.
Please consult the following websites for background information and news about different countries.
Please remember you can always count on us to help you out whenever needed. Good luck and keep in touch!