News & Events
Archives and Special Collections: Rules and Regulations
The materials housed in the Archives and Special Collections require special care and handling. Therefore, the following rules and regulations are not intended to hamper research, but instead to provide access to the collections in a manner which ensures their careful preservation. We expect our patrons to consider our materials not as a means to a personal end, but rather as a permanent resource for world scholarship.
Reading privileges are granted to registered researchers subject to the following rules:
- Researchers must leave all briefcases, book bags, handbags, and other items, except those needed for research purposes, in the lockers provided in the entrance way to the May Morris Reading Room.
- Researchers are strictly prohibited from bringing food, drink, or any tobacco products into the reading room.
- Researchers are not permitted to use pens, highlighters, or indelible pencils, as these utensils can permanently stain documents.
- Researchers must fill out call slips when requesting books, papers, or other materials for study.
- Researchers may not take any materials out of the May Morris Room.
- Researchers are expected to exercise great care with the materials. In the event of loss or damage, the researcher will assume full legal and financial responsibility.
- Researchers may ask that a limited amount of material be photocopied for
them by the Special Collections staff. Any photocopy request may be refused
if the staff determines that the procedure will cause undue harm to the materials.
- 10 cents per page - Dickinson College community members
- 15 cents per page - non-Dickinson researchers
- 25 cents per page - off-site requests (via phone, email, etc.)
- Researchers must return all materials to the reference desk upon completion of their studies. Those who have not completed their research must still return their materials by 3:45 p.m. daily.
Those researchers who are first-time visitors to the Archives and Special Collections will be asked to sign a form stating that they have read and will observe the rules before they will be permitted to use the materials.
To contact us: Archives and Special Collections staff.